Similar to Google Assistant and Siri, Samsung has its own digital assistant: Bixby. It comes preinstalled on the best Samsung phones, TVs, refrigerators, and other devices. In some aspects, Bixby is more powerful than other voice assistants. Still, it has certain drawbacks, which is why it’s not that popular despite being on the market for over five years.
Bixby is Samsung’s digital assistant that lets you get stuff done using your voice. It is an evolution of S Voice. Bixby can send texts, check the weather, call your friends and family, launch apps, and control music playback like other voice assistants.
Bixby’s deep integration with system settings and certain third-party apps sets it apart from Google Assistant and Siri. You can use Samsung’s voice assistant to change the brightness level, toggle auto-rotate on and off, take a selfie, or reply to an email in Gmail on your device.
The other two digital assistants let you control basic system settings or send a message to your friends and family. But they cannot open your Instagram direct messages or show your YouTube subscription list as Bixby can. This is what sets Bixby apart from the competition.
Another advantage Bixby has over Google Assistant is that it supports on-device processing for many basic commands. This allows the voice assistant to work offline and process many daily use commands without being connected to the internet. You must download an on-device Bixby package before you can enjoy this mode.
How to set up and use Samsung Bixby
Bixby is available on all Samsung smartphones. You don’t need to download a separate app from the Play Store before you can use it.
There are multiple ways you can bring up Bixby on your Samsung phone:
- Press and hold the side key or the Bixby key, if it’s available, for a few seconds.
- Say, “Hi, Bixby.” You must set up Bixby on your phone for the hot word to work.
- Use the Bixby app shortcut in the app drawer.
If Bixby isn’t accessible via the side button, use the steps below to make changes.
- Open Settings on your Samsung phone.
- Scroll to Advanced features.
- Select Side key.
- Turn on the Double press toggle.
- Tap the radio button beside Open app and select the Settings gear.
- Select Bixby from the following menu.
- You can also assign Bixby to the press and hold action on the side key.
When you first launch Bixby on your phone, it asks you to pick a voice to get answers. Tap the radio button beside your preferred voice sample and tap Continue. Check the number of permissions Bixby uses to function properly. Tap Continue.
You are all set to explore Samsung’s digital assistant. You can ask it the following commands:
- “Record a video.”
- “Show me the emails received today.”
- “Ask Google Duo to call my wife.”
- “Show the files in the document category.”
- “Ask Netflix to play Sacred Games.”
- “Start a five-kilometer run.”
- “Transfer data from my old phone.”
- “Make the screen darker.”
Bixby experience is divided into multiple parts: Bixby Voice, Bixby Vision, Bixby Commands, and Bixby Text Call.