GIFs (Graphics Interchange Format) are animated images that have become a staple in online conversations on social media platforms. At times, we may want to convert a section of a video into a GIF to use online. While on Android, this may require users to use a third-party app, the same can be done without using any external resource on iOS.
There are several third-party apps available on the App Store that allows you to create GIFs from videos. You may have tried one or more of them already on your device. What’s different about this particular technique is that we’ll be making use of the built-in Shortcuts app on your iPhone or iPad.
If you aren’t aware, Shortcuts gives you access to certain tools that aren’t natively available in iOS and iPadOS. For the uninitiated, this app offers over 300 built-in actions and also enables users to create custom shortcuts for several apps, including Contacts, Photographs, Camera, and more. Importantly, it also allows you to convert videos and even burst-mode photos into GIFs.
If you don’t have the Shortcuts app on your iPhone or iPad, you can download it from the Apple App Store.
How to turn a video into a GIF on iPhone and iPad
- Open the Shortcuts app.
- Go to the Gallery tab and type GIF in the search bar.
- Then, tap on the Videos to GIF option available under the Shortcuts tab.
- Hit the Add Shortcut button available at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose the video clip from your gallery which you want to convert into a GIF.
- After that, you will be prompted to shorten the video – if it is too long – by dragging the sliders on either end of the clip.
- Make changes as per your preference and tap on the Save option. After saving the GIF, you may share it with others by using the Share button.
- Once everything is finished, hit the Done button.
The Shortcuts app can be used to create GIFs from both videos and Live Photos that you’ve taken with your iPhone or iPad’s camera. You can turn it into a GIF that works on non-Apple devices as well.