There are many reasons why you may have a slow internet connection, and speeding up the internet on your PC or laptop isn’t always easy. But there are still plenty of ways to optimize your connection speed.
In this article, TheGhanaTech.com will be showing you some ways to increase internet speed for lightning-quick downloads and buffer-free streaming.
How to boost your internet connection
- Reboot your router: It sounds too simple to be true but rebooting your router can help boost your speeds, at least temporarily. Most technology needs occasionally rebooting to work at its most efficient and that applies to routers too.
- Use Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi is very convenient but it rarely offers the best speeds. If your computer is located in the same place all the time, it’s a good idea to plug it into your router via an Ethernet cable. That way, you get the most reliable service.
- Update your computer: Computers need maintenance. If your PC or Mac is running out of date software, it can affect how quickly everything runs including how fast your internet speed appears to be. Update the operating system as well as any other core apps such as anti-virus software to help matters.
- Switch ISPs or upgrade your package: If you can afford to upgrade, call your ISP and upgrade your internet package. You’ll enjoy much improved speeds this way.
- Use a different VPN: If you use a VPN, you may find your internet speeds are slower than without. Consider investing in a better and faster VPN to reap the benefits of your internet connection.
- Change your DNS server settings: If you’re willing to perform some more advanced tweaks to your system, change the computer’s DNS servers to speed up your web browsing. It can require some experimentation but it’s worth trying.
- Close unnecessary apps and programs: If unnecessary programs or background processes are hogging bandwidth, your download speeds may suffer. Close unnecessary tasks and see if that helps.