In this tutorial, TheGhanaTech.com will be showing you how you can easily use the secret conversation feature in Facebook messenger to keep your chat secure.
Using Facebook Messenger’s “Secret Conversations” feature, you can ensure your messages and calls are end-to-end encrypted so that only the sender and the receiver can access them.
If you care about privacy and want to use Messenger, secret conversations should be your go-to tool. Here’s how to start a secret conversation and customize its settings.
How to make a secret conversation in Messenger
Secret conversations are exclusive to the iPhone, iPad, and Android Messenger apps. You won’t find them in the Messenger desktop app or website.
- Open the Messenger app and tap the pencil icon in the top-right corner.
- You’ll see a “New Message” screen. Here, in the top-right corner, turn on the “Secret Conversations” option.
- On the same page, in the “To” field, enter the name of the person you want to have a secret chat with. Then, select that person on the list.
- A new chat will start with your chosen person. Any messages or calls you make in this conversation will be end-to-end encrypted. You can start sending messages as usual.
If you’re Facebook friends with the person on the other end of the chat, you can enable disappearing messages as well. These let you put a timer on every message sent, so they’ll delete themselves after a short period of time.
- At the top of the secret conversation, tap the other chatter’s name (iPhone or iPad) or the “i” icon (Android) to open the options menu.
- Tap Disappearing Messages, and then choose how long you want messages to last.