If you’re new to Chrome OS, you may have questions about how to screenshot on a Chromebook. The answer is easier than you might think!
All operating systems have screenshot tools that differ in functionality, and Google’s ChromeOS operating system used to have one of the worst tools. However, Google has been improving the ChromeOS user experience, and now the best Chromebooks have a robust Screen Capture tool.
How to take a screenshot on a Chromebook
- Hold Ctrl + Show Windows to screenshot
- Hold Ctrl + Shift + Show Windows for a partial screenshot
- Drag to select the capture area
- Hold Ctrl + Alt + Show Windows to screenshot a window
- Select the Window icon (a complete square)
- Click the window you want to screenshot
How to take a full screenshot on Chromebook
- Find the content you want to screenshot. On a Chromebook, this can be pretty much anything: it’ll work for web pages, apps, your desktop… whatever you want to capture.
- Hold down the Ctrl key and then press the Show Windows key
- Find your screenshot. By default, Chrome OS will have saved it to the Downloads folder within My Files. You can find this by opening the Files app (search for it via the launcher, if you don’t know where it is).
Your screenshot will also have been copied to your clipboard, which is useful if you want to paste it straight into a Google Docs or Slides document.
And finally, on some Chromebooks you’ll also see a window appear in the bottom right of the screen once you take it. You can click on this to take you directly to the Files app.
How to take a partial screenshot on Chromebook
Taking a partial screenshot that only captures a specific area of the Chromebook display is just as easy as taking a standard screenshot.
- Find the content you want to take a screenshot of.
- Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys and then press the Show Windows key.
- A message will appear telling you to ‘Drag to select an area to capture.’ Your cursor will also have changed into a crosshair and the screen will have dimmed.
- Using the mouse/trackpad, drag to select the area you wish to capture. The area you are capturing will be highlighted.
- Press the ‘Capture’ button in the centre of the screenshot. As before, your screenshot will be saved into the My Files/Downloads area.
How to take a screen recording on Chromebook
- Click the shelf with the Clock, Battery, and Wi-Fi icons and select the Screen Capture button.
- If you don’t see it the first time you launch the menu, click the Up arrow to expand the menu entirely.
- Once the menu is fully expanded, you can click the Screen Capture button.
- The Screen Capture utility will appear at the bottom of the screen. Ensure you select the Video Icon (video icon) to screen record. Otherwise, you’ll get screenshots if you choose the camera icon.
- The toolbar provides a few different recording options. For example, you can choose to record the entire screen, a specific window, or a partial screen.
- Choose how you want to record the screen, and it will automatically start. However, if you choose partial or a specific window, it will wait while you select the screen area to record.
- After that, click the Record button in your desired screen section.
- A red recording button will appear on the taskbar, and you can click it when you want the recording session to stop.
- It’s also important to note that you can change screen recorder settings before taking a shot. Click the Settings (gear icon) button to choose a different save location, enable or disable the front camera, and turn the microphone on or off.