There’s nothing quite as annoying as losing track of your email address or password and not being able to get into your Google account. But there’s no need to have a nervous breakdown just yet, though. You can take various recovery steps to recover your account and regain control of your data.
How to recover a Google account if your account was hacked
If you aren’t able to log into your Google account for example, if you’re trying to log into your Google account and you find that someone has changed your password or recovery phone number, or deleted your account (or in some cases, even if you deleted the account) you will also use Google’s Account Recovery page.
Simply answer the questions as best you can and follow the prompts.
If all else fails, or you can’t sign in for another reason (like you’re having trouble with two-step verification or you can’t reset your password with a code by text), you can get help signing in and recover your account directly through Google.
How to recover a Google account if you forgot your email address
If you remember your password but not the email address, Google offers a way to retrieve it.
- Go to Google’s Find My Email page
- Enter your recovery email or phone number and click next
- Enter your first and last name, click next
- Google will need to send a verification code to the recovery email or phone number, click Send.
- Enter the verification code, and click next
- Go will show you a list of accounts associated with the recovery email or phone number. If you see the account you want to recover, click on it to select.
- Enter your password: Since you remember the password, enter it in the text box and click Next. You need to verify it’s you who’s actually accessing the account if you’ve enabled two-step verification.
How to recover a Google account if you forgot your password
Sometimes, you can remember the email address but not the password. You can still recover your account by following the steps below to reset your password.
- Go to Google’s Account Recovery page
- Enter the email address for your Google account and click Next.
- Google will then ask you to enter the last password you remember. If you have any vague idea of what it is, enter the text box and click Next.