Have you received an email with a ZIP file attachment, and you didn’t know what to do with it? When it comes to opening a ZIP file on your phone, you might not have access to desktop tools like 7zip, but you have options. Most file manager apps have basic decompression functionality, but if you want a full feature set, you’ll need to turn to a third-party app on the Google Play Store dedicated to handling archive files.
What is a ZIP File?
A ZIP file is a type of file format that contains compressed files and folders for the purpose of archiving, storage, and/or transmission. It is treated as one file when being transferred or transmitted from one digital storage space to another. These files have the file extension “.zip” at the end of their name. Now follow the instructions below to unzip or open a zip file on a phone or tablet;
How to Open a Zip File on Android
- Go to the Google Play Store and install Files by Google.
- Open Files by Google and locate the ZIP file you want to unzip. If you downloaded the ZIP file from a website, it may be in the Downloads folder.
- Tap the file you want to unzip. The list of files in the compressed ZIP folder appears.
- Tap Extract to unzip the file. After the files are extracted, a list of the unzipped files displays.
- Tap Done.
How to Open a Zip File on iPhone
- Open the Files app, then find the ZIP file or archive from which you want to extract.
- Tap the ZIP file or archive.
- A folder is created containing the files. To change its name, touch and hold on the folder, then tap Rename.
- Tap to open the folder.
How to create a ZIP file on Android
Many users associate zipping files with computers and are unaware of the fact they can create a ZIP file on their Android device as well. In the following sections, I’ll tell you how to zip files and folders on Android smartphones.
- Open File Manager on your Android phone.
- Long-tap on all the files that you want to zip to select them.
- Tap on the Move icon. In some Android versions, you need to tap on the three dots in the top right corner to get the Move option.
- Select Internal Storage.
- Tap on More and select Create folder.
- Add a name to this folder and tap on OK.
- Navigate to the new folder and tap on Paste.
- The selected items will be moved to the new folder.
- Tap on the Back button to return to the Internal storage.
- Long-tap the new folder to select it.
- Tap on the More icon and choose Compress.
- Add a name for the compressed file and tap OK.
How to create a ZIP file on iPhone
- Open the Files app, then choose a location such as On My iPhone or iCloud Drive.
- Tap the More button, then tap Select. Choose one or more files.
- Tap the More button
- Tap the More button
- Tap the More button in the bottom right-hand corner, then tap Compress.