The GhQR code is a digital and new easy way to make payments to merchants by scanning a QR code or Merchant ID displayed by the merchant with your smartphone.
Customers can easily scan the QR code or dial a short code and pay from their bank account or mobile money wallet. The money will be credited to the merchant instantly, just like receiving cash.
The Ghana Interbank Payment and Settlement Systems Limited (GhIPSS) developed this digital system to make business transactions so simple and easy without paying in cash. The GhIPSS is a fully owned subsidiary of the Bank of Ghana.
In an interview made by TheGhanaTech.com, most of the merchants users are saying that the GhQR code is very helpful because it allows them to receive payments from the customers funding sources (Bank Accounts, Mobile Money Wallet and Card Schemes). Customers will not be charged or pay fees when using the GhQR.
Most of us don’t really know the functionality of QR codes. A quick response code (QR code) is a two-dimensional code made up of black and white squares which represent certain pieces of information that can be instantly be read using a smartphone camera. The QR code basically works like a barcode found on a product in the supermarket.
The setup for this digital payment is very cheap compared to other payment channels. In a post sighted by TheGhanaTech.com, Ghana Interbank Payment and Settlement Systems Limited (GhIPSS) said that the digital payment system GhQR is safe and secured.
All businesses or any institution can become a GhQR merchant. If you want to become a GhQR merchant, you need to go through a few steps listed below.
- You have to contact your payment service provider
- You will be registered, and a Merchant ID will be generated/assigned for your business
- You will also be provided with the GhQR sticker/ stand.
- Visibly display the GhQR sticker and Merchant ID at your business location
How to make payment with GhQR code in Ghana
There are two ways to make payments with the GhQR code in Ghana. You can Scan to Pay or Dial to Pay.
Scan to Pay
- On your smartphone, kindly download and install myghpay app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store
- Now login or signup with your detail required
- Open camera and scan the QR code displayed by the Merchant
- A notification will be shown on your phone after scanning the QR code
- Click on where you are asked to click and finish the payment
- Now follow all the instructions given to complete the payment
- After you are done with the process, you and the merchant will recieve a notification
Dial to Pay
- Kindly dial the USSD code displayed on the GhQR sticker
- Follow the prompt and enter all the required information
- Confirm payment and enter your pin to complete transaction
- Once payment is successful, both the customer and the merchant will receive transaction notifications