A post sighted by TheGhanaTech.com shows that about 70 million phones are lost each year. Without a SIM card, GPS location or Internet access, it may seem like all is lost when your phone goes missing. But did you know that you can use the IMEI number to track your lost Android phone?
IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a unique 15-digit code authorized by GSMA, just like an identity certificate for your phone. Every time a phone uses a particular network to make or receive a call, send or receive a message, its IMEI number is automatically emitted and tracked.
Because the police and service providers have databases in which these ID numbers fall into white and black lists, an owner can report his/her IMEI number and make it blacklisted after a theft. In our daily lives, some people use Bluetooth tracer GPS locator to locate smartphones nearby however, this approach has distance limitations.
If, unfortunately, your phone has been taken out of the 10-meter range, use the IMEI number and an anti-theft tracker to know where it is and turn it into nothing more than brick for the thief.
How to find the IMEI number of your Android phone
- Getting to know the number is easy. The fastest way is to dial *#06#, a command to make the unique ID appear.
- Another easy way to find the IMEI number is to navigate through “Settings” and tap “About Phone” to check the IMEI code of your Android phone.
In most cases, the IMEI number exists on the reverse side of a phone, or underneath the removable battery. If your phone is lost, but its packaging is kept, you are still able to find the IMEI number on the label.
Note: if your phone supports two SIM cards at the same time, there are two different IMEI numbers.
How to find your lost phone using IMEI number
There are many phone finder apps available for you on Google Play, such as AntiTheft App & IMEI Tracker All Phone Location. Most can be activated by the SMS you send; some support using the IMEI number.
- Open Google Play on your phone
- Search for “IMEI tracker“, and find “AntiTheft App & IMEI Tracker All Phone Location“. (Kindly make sure your Android version is 10 or higher). Then, start installing the app.
- Run the app after installation and give all the permissions that the IMEI tracker App asks for, including contacts, calls, storage, SMS, and location.
- Press “Continue” to move on after watching a short commercial. This free IMEI tracker App is great, but the only problem is that it contains ads that you have to watch. Unluckily, you cannot skip the ads, if the video is not yet loaded, you will not be able to go to the next step.
- Input the IMEI number of your lost Android phone, check your input, and tap “Track“. A small window with a list of places will appear, indicating the location and the close proximity of your phone.
Using the IMEI number to track the lost phone is not the only function of an IMEI tracker. There are also some important anti-theft functions that you should know about.
To protect your device further and before the theft, you should set the PIN number and remember it. Thus, you can control the stolen phone by sending the corresponding codes to make it give out alarms, send SMS about its real-time location, sync data to the device you are using and more.
Source: Gearbest Blog