Facebook Messenger is one of the best communication apps. It’s also the most popular in the U.S. If you use Facebook, it’s probably your de facto choice to stay in touch with your friends and family. Even though Facebook offers feature-rich Messenger apps on iPhone and the top budget Android phones, those apps aren’t without issues.
Sure, you can move to another platform when Facebook Messenger acts up, but your Facebook friends may not be available on that platform. Instead of abandoning ship, use the steps and troubleshooting tricks outlined below to fix your Facebook Messenger problems.
7 common Facebook Messenger problems and how to solve them
- Can’t log in to Facebook Messenger
If you’re logged in to one of the Facebook apps, such as Instagram, Messenger automatically detects it and lets you log in with a single tap. But other times, you must sign in with your Facebook account details. If you face login issues on Messenger, try the tricks below.
- Look for spelling errors on the login screen
- Reset your Facebook password
- Update the Facebook Messenger mobile app
- Messages aren’t sent on Facebook Messenger
If Facebook Messenger doesn’t send messages, it defeats the purpose of using an instant messaging app. Try the tricks below to make sure your messages are sent.
- Check your phone’s network connection
- Turn off Facebook Messenger’s data saver mode
- Turn on mobile data permissions for Messenger on your iPhone or iPad
- Check Facebook Messenger’s status (and Meta’s too!)
- Missing Facebook Messenger contacts
When you search for someone on Messenger, Facebook tries to find the person on your friends list, mutual friends list, and Instagram. Here are the possibilities if you still can’t find the person on Messenger:
- The person blocked you on Facebook.
- Facebook banned the person’s account.
- The person deleted or deactivated their account.
- The Facebook Messenger app crashes
Does Facebook Messenger frequently crash on your Android phone or iPhone? Try the tricks below
- Restart the Messenger app
- Force close Facebook Messenger on Android
- Make sure you have enough storage on your Android or iPhone
- Clear the Messenger cache
- Facebook Messenger notifications don’t work
You’ll have to allow notification permissions for Messenger to receive instant alerts.
- Allow notifications on iOS
- Turn on Messenger notifications on Android
- Can’t see stories in Messenger
Facebook automatically deletes stories after 24 hours. If you can’t see someone’s recently uploaded story, the person may have hidden the story from you. If you muted stories from several people, unmute them using the steps below and check their stories on Messenger.
- Open Messenger Settings (check the steps above).
- Scroll to Privacy & safety .
- Select Story controls
- Open Stories you’ve muted .
- Unmute your friends, and their stories appear on Messenger