In this tutorial, TheGhanaTech.com will be guiding you through the process of enabling end-to-end encryption in Instagram chats. With the increased use of the internet and social media apps, it is important to safeguard your details online to avoid any fraud or data leaks.
Meta-owned social media platforms like WhatsApp, Facebook, and Instagram offer end-to-end encryption for chats. Your chat messages and calls are protected so that only you and the person you’re speaking to can see, hear, or read them.
An end-to-end encrypted conversation is protected by a unique key that is stored on each device participating in the conversation. When a user sends a message, their device locks the message as it is being sent.
Only a smartphone or tablet that has one of the unique keys can unlock the message. The same applies to the information in your audio and video conversations.
How to enable end-to-end encryption in Instagram chats
- Open the Instagram app on your smartphone and go to the chat section.
- Tap on the plus (+) icon available in the top right corner.
- Tap on the Start end-to-end-encrypted chat option.
- Choose the account you want to start a secure chat with, or use the top search bar to look up their name.
- Hit the Chat button available in the top right.
How to enable end-to-end encryption in existing chats
- Open the Instagram app on your smartphone.
- Go to the chat in which you want to enable end-to-end encryption.
- Tap on the recipient’s name, available at the top of the chat window.
- Then, scroll down and tap on the use end-to-end encryption option.
- A new chat will be opened with end-to-end encryption.