Want to change your number on WhatsApp, but do not want to lose your current chats? Getting a new number will not affect most apps on your smartphone, changing the same on WhatsApp can be a little tricky. Earlier, you would have lost all your data and chats on WhatsApp while changing your number.
WhatsApp has an existing feature called Change Number that allows users to change their primary number that is tied to their WhatsApp account. Before we get into step-by-step instructions readers must note that this feature has some restrictions. Ensure the number you wish to change can receive SMS or phone calls and has an active cellular connection.
Note: This process is valid when you change the number without changing your smartphone. If you change your smartphone along with the number, you will have to take a backup of your chats on your old phone, and then install WhatsApp on your new phone. Lastly, you will have to restore the chats on your new phone before following the below steps.
How to change your WhatsApp number without losing chats
- Open WhatsApp on your Android phone/iPhone
- For Android users, the settings menu is at the top-right corner of the screen. On iOS, it is at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to Account and then select Change Number.
- You will see a screen that reads “Changing your phone number will migrate your account info, groups & settings.” Press the ‘Next’ button.
- Now, you will be asked to enter your old number and the new number.
- Tap ‘Next’ after entering your numbers.
- Here you will be asked whether you want your contacts to be notified about your new number. You can choose from the three options. All contacts, Contacts I have a chat with or custom numbers. WhatsApp will notify the groups about the number change automatically.
- Tap ‘Done’ to complete the process.
- WhatsApp will then prompt you to register your new phone number. You will receive a six-digit code via SMS or a phone call to complete the registration process. Once completed, you can view and access your old chats as they were.