This article explains how to change your Chromebook password, which means changing your Google password since your Chromebook password and Google password are the same. You can change your password from your Chromebook or from any device that’s logged in to your Google account.
In fact, device-based authentications such as biometrics, passkeys, and security keys will make way for a passwordless future in a few years. But right now, most devices and websites still require a password to sign in.
Your Chromebook password and your Google password are the same. You change these passwords the same way because you use a single password for all your Google-connected services and devices.
How to change your Chromebook password
- On your Chromebook, open the Chrome browser and click on the profile icon in the top-right corner.
- Click on “Manage your Google account“.
- Click on “Security” in the left sidebar and scroll down to the “Signing in to Google” section.
- Click on “Password” in the right pane.
- On the next page, enter your current Google account password and verify your identity.
- After that, you can set a new password for your Google account, which will also change your Chromebook’s password. For best security measures, set a strong password with a combination of characters and numbers.
- Now, go ahead and log in with the new password on your Chromebook.
How to reset Chromebook password on other devices
If you are locked out of your Chromebook and unable to sign in, you can change your password from another device. Here are the steps to follow.
- Open a web browser on another computer or smartphone and head to myaccount.google.com/security. Now, you need to sign into your Google account.
- Click on “Password” under the “Signing in to Google” section.
- Enter your Google account password to verify your credentials.
- Finally, as we did in the method above, you can change your Google account password with ease.
- Now, connect your Chromebook to the internet from the lock screen and enter the new password. This time, you will be able to log into your Chrome OS device!