Telegram released a feature to help users set a global auto-delete timer to automatically remove messages in all new chats. Telegram has also made it simpler to set up auto-delete in small private groups. Any member with the ability to change the group’s name and image can now enable the timer.
The platform recently released a string of new features for both Android and iOS versions of the app. The update brought features like no SIM card signup, auto-delete messages for all chats, and more.
It’s important to note that the feature only helps in the automatic deletion of all new chats; existing chats are unaffected. No matter who initiates the conversation, the timer will be automatically added to all new group chats and user chats you start.
How to enable ‘Auto-Delete Messages’ on Telegram
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you understand how you can enable the “Auto-Delete Messages” feature.
- Open the Telegram app on your smartphone.
- Expand the left panel by tapping on the three-horizontal line menu button.
- Select the Settings option from the menu displayed.
- Under the Settings tab, tap on the Privacy and Security option.
- Then, under the Security tab, tap on the Auto-Delete Messages option.
- After that, select the self-destruct timer for chats from the options displayed. Additionally, you can also set a custom to self-destruct timer for the auto-deletion of your chats.
How to enable ‘Auto-Delete Messages’ for specific chats
- Open the Telegram app on your mobile device.
- Go to the conversation for which you want to enable the auto-delete messages feature.
- Tap on the recipient’s name, available at the top of the chat.
- Then, tap on the three-dot menu button available in the top-right corner.
- Select the Auto-Delete option.
- Select the time period after which the chats will be deleted automatically.
With this process, you can save a lot of storage for your important files and time by not having to manually delete Telegram chats.