With each iteration of iOS, Apple has added more and more features to its navigation app – Apple Maps. With iOS 15 in 2021, Apple even added augmented reality enhancements like Immersive Walking Directions to Apple Maps.
If you have recently switched from an iPhone to an Android or from a Mac to a Windows computer, you have probably figured out by now that Apple makes its Maps app exclusive to Apple devices.
However, if you are having a hard time getting used to Apple Maps alternatives, TheGhanaTech.com have some good news for you. It is possible to use Apple Maps on both Android smartphones and Windows computers. However, it’s not as easy as tapping an app icon on an iPhone, and there are limitations as well.
How to Use Apple Maps on Android Smartphones/Tablets
- Open a browser and search for DuckDuckGo.com
- Type the location in the search bar (located at the top) and hit enter button.
- You should now be able to see different tabs such as All, Images, Videos, News, and Maps. Tap on Maps, and you will be redirected to the Maps page.
- Click on the Directions button to view the driving/walking directions of the selected location from a specific location.
How to Use Apple Maps on Windows Computer
- On your Windows PC, go to DuckDuckGo.com.
- Type the location in the search bar and then either press Enter or click the magnifying glass button.
- A new web page will load with search results, and you should see different tabs for different categories, such as All, Pictures, Videos, News, and Maps. Once you click the Maps button, you will be redirected to the Maps page.
- On this page, you will be shown some details about the place you are looking for, and next to it, you will see the Directions button.
- If you have already permitted your browser to find the place, you will be shown possible routes to it from your current location. Otherwise, you will have to enter the starting location.
- Choose a route and click the Show Steps button to see the detailed route to the selected location.
It’s worth noting that accessing Apple Maps through DuckDuckGo has its own limitations, and most features, such as navigation, traffic information, and others, are not accessible.